Tuesday 24 June 2008

Cold Arusha, colder hearts

This is a a wonderful experience, work at the UN and live in the town centre, at the bust stand of Ilboru, in case any one familiar with this place ever reads this post.
So every morning i get to see the best of both worlds in terms of social classes. In the mornings and evenngs, the walk to my place takes roughly 15 minutes, which makes it 30 minutes of walking daily.
On the way, i get to see the lower social class of Arusha trudging thier way to oil the local economy, this economy mostly revolves around the weatherand pysical geography of Arusha which has ensured Arusha is a touristic haven.
The locals make curios and art crafts ewhich are sold in a myriad of places here. From roadside simple stands to glossy supermarkets in the city centre or on the raodsides leading to the three national parks.
In my neighbourhood, its a poor man's version of urban aprtmments, the place used to be a sort of shpping centre, so the apartments were biult in the shape of many shops in EAC.
The apartment has got just one little bedroom a little under 3 by 2 metres, a tenat here is required to pay one year's advance in rental charges.
I have paid my dues, but the land lord, just like anyone aroubd here has a special way of treating anyone that is connected or working for the UN.
Almost tow months after paying my dues, the house doesnot have windows, neithert has he installed a door.
So the bitter coldness of Arusha these days feasts on me and my bedcover, bought from the lower ends of good old Nyabugogo cannot do any service.
Its a kibazo to work at the UN in these circumstances.

I was promised to have my windows installed today, i wait...............





To be continued

No comments: