Friday 6 February 2009

Ottawa to Toronto

Allan-the man that set up the Rwanda Initiative dropped me off on top of booking the bus ticket and also 'hooking me up' with a number of journalism students at Carleton at the Greyhound station where we met a Rwandan Canadian lady working as the in charge of the tickets, we made introductions but not much information was exchanged. She got me a student ticket and the bus ride began to TORONTO. Fours and you see flat lands, great roads and like the drive from Bujumbura to Kigali where you stop off at Nyanza for refreshment, here you also stop at a roadside restaurant and indulge. I had a roast beef bugger, very cold but nice and worth the 3.5 dollars it cost, with a glass of milk.

In Toronto i was recieved by John Honderich-the guy responsible for funding the Initiative, he had(s) a smile and a large heart that man.
More than anything, John has modesty and humility like none i have known, he gave a whole floor to myself complete with internet connection.
John lives where Toronto is most happening, just a few blocks on Yonge street and he drives a mavelous Lexus car.

There are so many other attributes to this man but i will always remember that he drew for me the route on the city's public transport system and when i was talking to somebody else about the route, she told me that it was possible that John had not taken the Toronto's public city transport system in years, yet the map and directions that John gave were very helpful, also how he cooked well and even did laundry for me. My Toronto experience will always begin with this reception.
And the fact that John considering his status always-i lived in his house for four days-made it very easy to tell him straight what i thought.

On that sunday i went to my first superbowl party at Robin's party in a Condo, it was a typical sports party with all the great guys in presence which as we have in EAC was about beer, food-chilly-salad, beer, conversations and beer.
I was on the side of the Arizona Cardinals and everyone else on i forget the other team because i hated ity from then, we had some bets and jOHN won all them,i think the guy has watched many superbowls. In between however because it was my first American football match and i never any rules apart from knowing the team with more points i was dozing off.

No comments: